Wednesday, March 1, 2017

3/1 Day 1 #SOL17


There's something so American
About teaching kids to question all
A lesson in discretion 
To remind us 
We won't let freedom fall

In front of me sits a group of six 5th grade students, all first generation Mexican Americans. We are reading an article about the threat of The Wall. My eyes well up as I watch them search for main ideas throughout the text because today might reach a more personal level for some of them. 
Questions are asked. Opinions are shared. More questions are asked. More opinions shared.
And I think to myself, well isn't this what public school in America is all about? 





















3 comments:

  1. This slice left me wanting to read more from you! Thank you for the poem to catch me right away and for sharing this piece of your classroom's day. I can't wait to read more these next 30 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prepared a welcome to slicing message for you. It can wait. This blows me away. I sent it to my friend Ana in Texas who volunteers with an immigration lawyer helping keep refugees -- mothers and children -- out of family detention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears of so many emotions. Grateful for you.

    ReplyDelete